9.19.2007

My Favorite Recipes

Here are some links to the recipes I've been using this summer:
Pesto
I chop the basil with a chef's knife so it won't lose as much flavor, then put everything but the oil and basil in the food processor and blend until mostly smooth. Next add the basil, blend a little then slowly start adding the oil. I've lowered the amount of oil used to 1/3 cup. This tastes ok with walnuts, but if you can afford the pine nuts, go for it! I have only used freshly grated cheese for this, and always pack it down a bit.
Zucchini Pesto
Keep a close eye on the walnuts while you're toasting them - they will burn; ask me how I know.
Toasting Walnuts:
Preheat oven to 350 (I used a toaster oven - maybe that's why they burned)
Place nuts in single layer on rimmed baking sheet
Bake 5-10 minutes until golden brown - they may be more golden than brown and will continue to brown after removal from oven.
Chicken Pesto ~~ I made this one up: Preheat broiler; make pesto, spread on chicken, broil until thoroughly done, turning halfway through. Be sure the chicken is at least 6 inches away from heat source.
Grilled Potato Skins
I find that to serve 4 I need to double or triple the recipe; or just buy a five pound bag of potatoes and use all the ones that are big enough. I don't make extra topping as it's usually more than enough. Also, I can fit 4 potatoes in the microwave with no problem. On a gas grill, cook over med/hi heat until cheese melts and just starts to bubble.
I've also adapted this recipe for the oven: Follow beginning of recipe. After brushing with butter place on baking sheet in 425 degree oven until skins begin to crisp; about 5-10 minutes. Add Picante sauce, cheese and bacon, and return to oven until cheese is melted. Add tomatoes, onion and topping, and serve!
Note: Since I don't usually have scallions on hand, I use a pinch of dried onion and put it on right after brushing on the butter. Also, we put the tomatoes, scallions, and topping on the table so people can use as much or as little as they like.
Grilled Potatoes
This is a good recipe for when you don't have time for grilled potato skins. The recipe is a ways down the page. Be sure to read the section about parboiling.
Pizza Sauce
You need to scroll down a ways for the recipe. Since I didn't have any fresh oregano, I stared at the spice shelf in the cupboard and pulled out anything that sounded like it might be good in the sauce. I also put in some fresh parsley, lovage, and winter savory.

No comments: