10.08.2007

Indian Summer

According to Wikipedia Indian summer is 'a name given to a period of sunny, warm weather in autumn, not long before winter. Usually occurring after the first frost, Indian summer can be in late October or early November in the northern hemisphere, and late April or early May in the Southern hemisphere. It can persist for a few days or extend to a week or more.'
We haven't had a frost yet, be the weather this Fall has been unseasonably warm -not that I'm complaining - I'll take as much warm weather as I can get. Anyway since I have no idea when the weather will change I decided to give my tomatoes a trim yesterday. The Mrs. Benson variety have had early blight for quite some time now, so I trimmed all most of the affected branches. (If I'd done all of them there wouldn't be much left on the plants) Most of the affected branches were at the bottom, so they're rather top heavy now, especially since they've had a lot of growth at the top. I don't know if the flowers will set fruit or not, but I figured it'd be worth it to find out. According to my favorite online weather forecast the temperature will drop dramatically in the next week or so. Maybe I'll look for another forecast...
I'm still getting tomatoes and peppers. I've been freezing the tomatoes, hopefully I'll remember they're in the freezer and use them. The recipe I have in mind is a basil tomato sauce from Mom's canning book; I'm going try and adapt it for fewer tomatoes and some different ingredients.

My attempt to root the Clematis failed - the cutting was to far gone. However, the plant managed to revive itself. I think it has enough growth to survive any upcoming cold snap. Now I just need to figure out the best way to overwinter the Mandevilla...

Farewell~
Sarah

No comments: