7.08.2007

Rain Made The Veggies Grow

The vegetable really took off after the rain Wednesday and Thursday - the zucchini is huge and using up the entire 3' x 3' space allotted to it. I've been harvesting radishes every few days and the lettuce should be ready for picking soon. We got some more rain this afternoon, so I shouldn't have to water for a few days.

I took several cuttings from the Spicy Globe Basil, and one from the Lemon Balm. From everything I've read, they should root quickly. The basil will go near the tomatoes and peppers to deter the insects that are eating the leaves. The Lemon Balm is a bit of an experiment - we grow it in a pot to keep it from spreading; it wintered over well, but the leaves have black spots all over them. After doing some research I decided to try starting a new plant since the old may be root bound or in need of division. I thought it would be a good idea to have a new established plant in case the old one dies after division in the fall.

We are still battling the Japanese beetles. The trap didn't seem to be working very well, so I made a mixture of soap and water with a little vinegar to spray on the beetles; it seems to be working pretty well. The next day there were fewer beetles, but they had spread out to Mom's Rose of Sharon and my Anise Hyssop and Bee Balm. We applied Sevin to the Japanese Maple, Anise Hyssop and Bee Balm. Of course it's probably all washed off now with the rain today, but hopefully it did some good.

I took 70+ pictures Friday and Saturday, and should have them on the internet by Tuesday.

Farewell~
Sarah

No comments: